|Born:||November 10, 1966|
Vanessa Madeline Angel (born 10 November 1966) is an English model and actress. She is best known for playing the role of Lisa on the television series Weird Science. She is also known for her role as Claudia in the film Kingpin.
Born and raised in London, England, Angel was discovered by a Select Model Management modeling agent in a London cafe as a teenager.At 16, she was signed by Ford Models and moved to New York. During her modeling stint, Angel appeared on the covers of Vogue and Cosmopolitan.
Angel's first movie role was in the 1985 American comedy, Spies Like Us, in which she played a soldier in the Soviet Strategic Missile Forces. In 1990, she appeared in a small role in the movie King of New York. Angel continued to appear in films throughout the early 1990s.
In 1994, she starred in the television series Weird Science. The show ran for five seasons, ending in 1998. In 1995, Angel was cast in the role of Xena, originally intended to be a three-episode guest spot on Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. Due to an illness, she was unable to take the role. Ultimately, the role went to Lucy Lawless.
During the series run of Weird Science, Angel landed the female lead in the Farrelly brothers film, Kingpin. After completing the last season of Weird Science, she played roles in Kissing a Fool with David Schwimmer, followed by a role in the 1999 film, Made Men. In 2004, she appeared in Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2, as Scott Baio's wife.Angel has also had roles in Sabretooth and The Perfect Score.
In 2000, she guest starred in three episodes of Stargate SG-1. Angel played the role of Tok'ra archaeologist/scientist Freya, whose symbiote is named Anise. Her first appearance is in the Season 4 episode "Upgrades", and she appeared in the two following episodes, Crossroads (Stargate SG-1)|"Crossroads" and "Divide and Conquer".
In 2005, Angel played herself in the Season 2 episode of Entourage entitled "I Love You Too". In 2007, she completed the independent film Blind Ambition.
In 1996, Angel married actor Rick Otto. The couple have one daughter.
- Star of the Week: Vanessa Angel - Biography.. Askmen.com.
- Tony Scott (2007). Weird Science She's Alive (English). Variety. Retrieved on October 17 2007.
- Nicholas, Ruth. "Style: That year's model", The Independent (London), 1999-10-30. Retrieved on 2007-11-12.
- New York Times, Vanessa Angel
- Xena Gets the Axe. BBC News (2000-10-17). Retrieved on 2007-11-02.
- Rita Kempley (1996). 'Kingpin': Bowl-You-Over Yucks (English). Washington Post. Retrieved on October 17 2007.
- CBS News (2004). Scott Baio Does Day Care (English). CBS News. Retrieved on October 17 2007.
- Filmreference.com, Vanessa Angel