|Alternate title(s):||Pirates XXX|
|Starring:||Jesse Jane, Carmen Luvana, Janine Lindemulder, Devon, Teagan Presley, Austyn Moore, Jenaveve Jolie|
|Produced by:||Samantha Lewis
|Editing by:||Joey Pulgadas|
|Websites and databases|
|IMDb IAFD AFDB|
Pirates (also known as Pirates XXX) is a pornographic film produced by Digital Playground and Adam & Eve. Released in September of 2005, it stars Jesse Jane, Carmen Luvana, Janine Lindemulder, Devon, and Jenaveve Jolie. The film was directed by Joone and features many references to the mainstream Hollywood film Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.
The producer stated in an interview that Pirates was the most expensive pornographic film made to date, with a reported budget of over US$1 million and featuring unusually high production values for a pornographic film.
In 1763, Captain Edward Reynolds is hunting pirates, or at least trying to do so. He does not consider himself a great commander, and neither do most of his crew. Only his first officer, Jules, believes in him. When they save a young woman named Isabella from drowning, she tells them that her husband's ship has been destroyed by the feared Captain Victor Stagnetti and his crew of cutthroat pirates.
Reynolds and his crew go hunting for Stagnetti, who tries to find a map that leads to a powerful secret on an island somewhere in the Caribbean Sea. Stagnetti finds the secret "staff" unlocked by Isabella's husband Manuel.
After the crew escapes the spawn of darkness summoned by Stagnetti, their ship engages Stagnetti's in battle, ending Stagnetti's reign as a pirate.
- Jesse Jane as Jules
- Carmen Luvana as Isabella
- Janine Lindemulder as Serena
- Devon as Madelyn
- Teagan Presley as Christina
- Austyn Moore as Angelina
- Jenaveve Jolie as the Pirate Dancer
- Evan Stone as Capt. Edward Reynolds
- Tommy Gunn as Capt. Victor Stagnetti
- Kris Slater as Manuel Valenzuela
- Steven St. Croix as Marco
- Also featuring:
- Frank Bukkwyd as Oxford
- Brian Surewood as Gino
- Harry Bali as Priest
- Keethan Hawke as Auctioneer (as Keyser Soze)
- Mando M. as Incan Monk
- Charmane Star as Wench #1
- Trina Michaels as Wench #2
- Austin Kincaid as Wench #3
- Jolie Harris as Wench #4
- Joshua as Old Sea Captain
- Scene 1. Carmen Luvana, Kris Slater
- Scene 2. Jesse Jane, Scott Nails
- Scene 3. Devon, Teagan Presley, Evan Stone
- Scene 4. Jesse Jane, Steven St. Croix
- Scene 5. Carmen Luvana, Jenaveve Jolie
- Scene 6. Austyn Moore, Evan Stone
- Scene 7. Janine, Tommy Gunn
- Scene 8. Carmen Luvana, Jesse Jane
- Scene 9. Carmen Luvana, Kris Slater
- Scene 10. Janine, Jesse Jane
The production was shot using high definition digital video cameras and featured over 300 special effects shots. It also included an original music score, later released on a separate soundtrack CD, and was mastered in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. Some scenes were shot on a real life sailing ship, a St. Petersburg, Florida-based replica of the HMS Bounty. The owners of the ship were not aware of the true nature of the film as they were advised that the film being made was a "Disney-type pirate film for families."
The film was initially released as a three-disc DVD set (the movie on a standard video DVD, the movie again in a high definition Windows Media format, and a special features disc) priced as high as $70. An R-rated version of the film was released on DVD on July 11, 2006. Digital Playground also released an Original Motion Picture Soundtrack CD, a rarity among adult video releases.
The film was also released on Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD as one of the first high-definition adult releases on an optical disc format.
Evan Stone reported on the extra DVD that there was going to be a sequel. In January 2007 it was reported that a sequel would be produced, directed by Joone and entitled Pirates II. A first teaser trailer was presented during the 2007 AVN Adult Entertainment Expo in Las Vegas, Nevada.
In March 2008, Digital Playground announced that the sequel would star Belladonna along with Jesse Jane, Evan Stone and many other performers from the first movie, and that it would be released in September 2008.
The second movie was released on September 26, 2008 under the title Pirates II: Stagnetti's Revenge.
RogReviews called it "the most talked about adult movie of the year".
- Best Video Feature
- Best DVD
- Best Director - Video (Joone)
- Best Actress - Video (Janine Lindemulder)
- Best High-Definition Production
- Best All-Girl Sex Scene - Video (Janine Lindemulder and Jesse Jane)
- Best Special Effects
- Best Actor - Video (Evan Stone)
- Best Music
- Best Supporting Actor - Video (Tommy Gunn)
- Best On-Line Marketing Campaign
- Best Release (2005)
- Epic (2005)
Adult DVD Empire Awards:
- 2005 Editor's Choice
- 2005 Best Overall DVD
- 2005 Best DVD Menu Design
- 2005 Best DVD Video Quality
- 2005 Best DVD Audio Quality
- 2005 Viewer's Choice
In popular culture
In the HBO television series Entourage a poster for Pirates can be seen in an X-rated store visited by the boys during the episode "Three's Company".
- Daniel McGinn (2005-11-28). Porn: XXX Blue, Spending Green. Newsweek. Retrieved on 2007-09-18.
- 'Pirates' pic unbuckled. Variety (2005-09-14). Retrieved on 2007-09-19.
- Steve Javors (2006-09-21). 'PIRATES' Opens Pennsylvania Film Festival. XBiz.com. Retrieved on 2007-08-02.
- Charles Mandel (2007-07-13). Scandal-ridden Tall Ships arrive in Halifax harbour. National Post. Retrieved on 2007-12-21.
- Famed ship sails in skin flick. Halifax Chronicle-Herald (2007-05-14). Archived from the original on 2007-05-14. Retrieved on 2007-12-10.
- Michael Blacky Ritter (2006-02-05). Pirates XXX WMV-HD-DVD. HDTVTotal.com. Retrieved on 2007-10-17.
- David McCutcheon (2006-05-23). Adult Film Pirates Sails Home With R Rating. IGN.com. Retrieved on 2007-08-02.
- Bob Preston (2007-01-31). Digital Playground Releases 'PIRATES II' Teaser. XBiz.com. Retrieved on 2007-08-02.
- Digital Playground (2008-03-06). DIGITAL PLAYGROUND ANNOUNCES BELLADONNA TO STAR IN "PIRATES II: STAGNETTI'S REVENGE". Retrieved on 2008-05-31.
- DVD Review Pirates (English). RogReviews.com (July 2005). Retrieved on 2007-08-02.